NEW JERSEY GUN LAWYERS
You have the
Right to Protect Yourself
And we have the passion for defending your constitutional rights
With Offices in Hackensack, Newark, and Morristown
The preamble to the United States Constitution reads: “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.” This landmark document was quickly followed by the Bill of Rights, and the two together form the foundation of the greatest superpower in the modern world.
The Bill of Rights establishes the fundamental liberties guaranteed to all U.S. citizens, among the first and most significant of which is “the right to bear arms,” outlined in the Second Amendment. Over the years, the right to bear arms has been called into question, the true meaning debated, and the underlying issues becoming the source of highly contentious debates among Americans on both sides of the political spectrum. With adversaries invoking mass shootings and gun violence as arguments against the right to bear arms, supporters point to the framers of the U.S. Constitution and the principles upon which this country was founded.
New Jersey Gun Laws
It has been difficult to reach consensus with regard to the true meaning, intention, and application of the Second Amendment, but America is indeed a republic, which allows the states significant discretion in determining the gun laws that apply within their jurisdictions. As a result, your gun rights and responsibilities can dramatically change based on where you live, work, visit, or even travel through. New Jersey is a prime example of the implications of gun policy, enacting some of the strictest gun laws in the nation with stringent requirements for gun owners and a policy of extreme enforcement against weapons offenders.
So, how does an average American exercise their gun rights without violating the law? And what do you do if, for some unfortunate reason, you are accused of a criminal offense involving a weapon?
Criminal Defense Against Weapons Charges In New Jersey
At The Tormey Law Firm, it is our purpose to provide the knowledge and resources that you need to enjoy your rights in full compliance with New Jersey weapons laws, and when necessary, to provide the most comprehensive and vigorous defense for those charged with weapons offenses. With members who previously served on behalf of the State prosecuting gun offenders, we utilize or unique insight to construct the most innovative and effective defense strategies.
Our New Jersey weapons defense team includes several former gun prosecutors, one of whom served in the weapons forfeiture unit of the Morris prosecutor’s office, attorneys who held positions in the U.S. Attorney’s Office, and highly acclaimed attorneys who have established a reputation for excellence through their many successes in Superior Courts across New Jersey, including in Bergen, Morris, Essex, and Passaic counties. Our firm’s founder, Travis J. Tormey, has received the Avvo.com Client’s Choice Award every year for the last ten years and was recently named among the Top 10 Criminal Attorneys in New Jersey by the American Jurist Institute.
Whether you have been charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, a certain persons offense, or another weapons crime, or you are seeking the return of your weapons in connection with an alleged domestic violence incident, our seasoned New Jersey criminal defense attorneys are poised to attack the State’s case in pursuit of the best possible outcome.
Experienced New Jersey
Who We Are
Our criminal trial team is composed of multiple former gun prosecutors and experienced criminal defense lawyers who are intimately familiar with the legal system, firearms offenses, and all of the potential defenses that may apply to your case. For instance, John Graves, one member of our team, served in the weapons forfeiture unit at the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office.
Another experienced criminal defense attorney who handles a wide range of firearms cases for the firm, Nicholas Moschella, served as a former prosecutor in 22 towns throughout Monmouth and Ocean counties. He also previously represented several police departments in southern New Jersey on firearms appeals filed by their residents. Using his strong foundation in weapons laws, combined with years of experience as a criminal defense lawyer at one of the state’s largest firms, Mr. Moschella has continuously delivered tremendous results for clients facing gun charges in Monmouth County, Middlesex County, Ocean County, and Atlantic County. He also frequently assists our clients with firearms permit appeals and litigation.
In addition, criminal defense lawyer and zealous defender of Second Amendment rights, Jeffrey Skiendziul, concentrates on the area of gun laws in New Jersey, handling countless gun permit applications and appeals, extreme risk protective orders, and weapons forfeiture cases arising from domestic violence allegations on behalf of the firm’s clients. He is also a seasoned defender of those charged with crimes involving weapons and firearms across the state. In fact, prior to joining our legal team, he worked at one of the most prominent firearms defense firms in southern New Jersey.
Our legal team also includes Jorge Morales, a highly accomplished lawyer with over two decades of experience in criminal justice. As a former Assistant Prosecutor in Hudson County and then a Senior Assistant Prosecutor and chief of the major crimes unit in Passaic County, he has participated in the investigation and prosecution of defendants facing the most severe criminal charges and penalties possible under NJ law, including homicide cases involving weapons. He employs his extensive background in criminal litigation and negotiation when handling major crimes cases on behalf of our clients. Mr. Morales is also bilingual and frequently represents clients Spanish-speaking clients who are facing gun charges.
Finally, our managing partner, Travis J. Tormey, was recently recognized as one of the Top 10 Criminal Lawyers in New Jersey by the American Jurist Institute. He has a perfect 10.0 attorney rating on Avvo.com and has received their Client’s Choice Award every year for ten straight years. With our knowledge and experience representing clients in a vast array of gun and weapons cases in Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, and statewide, we are frequently called upon as a respected legal resource in the area. For example, our firm was recently featured in The Bergen Record as a legal authority on New Jersey gun rights. Overall, we are the team to have on your side when dealing with a gun or weapons related issue in New Jersey.
Nuestra firma se enorgullece de representar a clientes acusados de delitos con armas.
- Over ten years of experience practicing criminal defense in New Jersey
- Previously worked as a firearms defense attorney at one New Jersey’s most notable defense firms in this realm of law
- Listed for inclusion in the SuperLawyers Rising Stars list every year from 2014 to 2023
- Has successfully handled a multitude of cases involving seizure of weapons for domestic violence in Bergen County, Passaic County, Union County, Hudson County, and other counties
- Admitted to practice in New Jersey, as well as before the United States Supreme Court
- Personally assists hundreds of clients with firearms permit applications and appeals of firearm permit denials
- Over 20 years of experience practicing criminal law as a Prosecutor and Criminal Defense Attorney in Superior Courts across the state of New Jersey
- Spent decades serving as a former prosecutor in the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office, as well as the Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office
- Had a lengthy career in military service and served as a defense attorney representing service members and senior military personnel facing criminal offenses and administrative actions
- Is bilingual and frequently represents clients who are Spanish-speaking and have been charged with guns and weapons offenses.
- Successfully handles a vast array of indictable crime cases involving the illegal possession and use of guns, as well as other weapons-related crimes in Middlesex County, Bergen County, Morris County, Essex County and counties statewide
- Has accumulated nearly thirty years of experience handling criminal cases through every phase of the legal process in New Jersey
- Formerly worked an Assistant Prosecutor with the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office, handling investigations and prosecutions of serious felony-level crimes
- Fearlessly takes on the most challenging guns and weapons cases, often involving complex evidentiary and other issues that must be addressed in pre-trial motions, trial litigation, as well as argued on appeal
- Admitted to practice in New Jersey, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, and the United States Supreme Court
- Combines unique experience in criminal and civil courts to address a myriad of aspects of firearms law in New Jersey, from criminal charges for weapons, to weapons forfeiture matters, extreme risk protective order hearings, and gun permit appeals
- Avid gun owner and advocate for Second Amendment Rights on behalf of those who stand to lose their ability to possess and own weapons
- Has accomplished multiple major victories while arguing appeals before the New Jersey Appellate Division
- Confidently confronts defense and appeals related to firearms applications, charges involving weapons offenses, and civil gun cases intersecting with domestic violence and extreme risk protective orders in Union County, Essex County, Somerset County, Warren County, and many others
- Served as a former prosecutor in over 20 towns throughout Monmouth and Ocean counties
- Previously represented several south Jersey police departments on firearms appeals
- Worked as a criminal defense attorney at one of the largest criminal defense firms in New Jersey
- Listed for inclusion in the SuperLawyers Rising Stars list in the area of criminal defense in 2017 and 2019.
- Has successfully handled a number of gun cases in Ocean County, Monmouth County, Atlantic County, and Middlesex County
- Assists clients with firearms permit appeals and litigation
- Represents clients in weapons forfeiture hearings, including those involving domestic violence
John P. Graves
- Previously served as a judicial clerk for a highly-respected judge in Passaic County
- Served as a former assistant prosecutor in Morris County for over four years, where he handled cases involving felony criminal charges, as well as weapons forfeiture hearings, and gun permit appeals
- Served as an assistant Morris County prosecutor in the Firearms Return Unit
- Skillfully represents clients in domestic violence cases involving weapons
- Assists with firearms permit applications and denials
Travis J. Tormey
Founder and Managing Partner
- Named one of the Ten Best Criminal Lawyers in New Jersey by the American Jurist Institute in 2016
- Named one of the Top 10 Criminal Attorneys in New Jersey under 40 years old by the National Academy of Criminal
- Named one of the Top 10 Criminal Trial Lawyers in New Jersey under 40 years old by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- Avvo Attorney rating service: 10.0 Perfect Rating
- Avvo Client’s Choice Award Winner: 2013-2022
Bergen County BB Gun Charges Downgraded and Dismissed
“In this case, we represented a young man facing a BB gun charge arising out of Palisades Interstate Park in Bergen County. Our attorneys were able to get the charges downgraded to disorderly persons (misdemeanor) offenses and then the charges were dismissed in Municipal Court.”
Morris County Handgun Charges Resolved with PTI Program
“Our client hired us facing a second degree gun charge in the Morris County Superior Court in Morristown, NJ. Although not typically available to individuals charged with second degree firearms crimes, we were able to secure his enrollment in the PTI program to help him avoid jail time and a felony record.”
Newark NJ Shotgun Possession Client Avoids Prison
“Here, our firm defended a client charged with unlawful possession of a shotgun in Newark. He was initially facing 5 to 10 years in prison, with mandatory prison time and a period of parole ineligibility if convicted. However, our lawyers negotiated a sentence of non-custodial probation and our client was able to avoid prison altogether.”
Passaic County Gun Case Dismissed
“Our attorneys defended a client charged charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose in Paterson. We hired an investigator, who obtained an essential witness statement. Based on this new evidence, a Grand Jury failed to indict our client and the charges were dismissed altogether.”
Bergen County NJ Gun Charges Dismissed
“In this case, our team represented a client who was arrested in Mahwah, New Jersey with a gun in her car without a legal permit for it. Although the firearm was purchased out-of-state and possessed in violation of NJ weapons laws, we were able to help her avoid jail time and a felony on her record through Pre-Trial Intervention, after which the charges were dismissed.”
Raymond T. - Middlesex County PTI 3 years for Dismissal
“The work done on my behalf surpassed any of my expectations of this law firm. They worked tirelessly on my case and eased my anxiety to where I could function on a daily basis without worry. The imminent dismissal of serious allegations was the best outcome I could think of and with Travis’s help, it happened. Although I intend to never need legal representation in the future, should I ever do…I’ll definitely be calling Travis for any legal issues that may arise. Thank you for all your help.”
Mike S. - Bergen BB Gun pointing, Possession of Weapon for Unlawful Purpose - Dismissed
“Wow, I got my peace of mind back thanks to Travis. I really appreciate you for getting my two felony charges dismissed. Thank you so much Travis and the rest of the Tormey Law Firm, I will refer whomever I come across needing legal help to you, thanks. You’re the best!”
A rudyzzz28 - Pennsylvania Resident, Out-of-State Permit - Hunterdon County PTI
“Travis Tormey is the best lawyer I had to deal with, very easy to get ahold of and easy to work with. He said he was able to get me on PTI and he did, got me out of a 2nd degree felony charge in NJ. I highly recommend the Tormey law firm.”
Vincent D. M. - Morris Gun Case - Charges Dismissed with PTI Program
“Travis had my gun charges dismissed and also got my firearm returned to me. He answered my call on a Sunday morning and took care of everything I only had to go to court twice and was only there a couple of minutes. He did an excellent job”
Areas We Serve
- Atlantic County
- Bergen County
- Burlington County
- Camden County
- Cape May County
- Cumberland County
- Essex County
- Gloucester County
- Hudson County
- Hunterdon County
- Mercer County
- Middlesex County
- Monmouth County
- Morris County
- Ocean County
- Passaic County
- Salem County
- Somerset County
- Sussex County
- Union County
- Warren County
Important Question of Domestic Violence and Gun Rights Soon to be Decided
The United States Supreme Court will Soon Decide Whether to Uphold or Strike Down the Prohibition on Firearms Possession for those Convicted of Domestic Violence or Subject to Restraining Orders The U.S. Supreme Court recently heard arguments in the U.S. v. Rahimi case regarding the issue of domestic violence, protective orders, and gun rights. Currently, […]